Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Too Easily Pleased

A sobering quotation I stumbled across while reading Locke's Essay Concerning Human Understanding:


[U]pon a stricter inquiry, I am forced to conclude that good, though apprehended and acknowledged to be so, does not determine the will, until our desire, raised proportionally to it, makes us uneasy in the want of it. Convince a man ever so much that plenty has its advantages over poverty, make him see and admit that the handsome conveniences of life are better than nasty penury, yet as long as he is content with the latter and finds no uneasiness in it, he does not move...

Were the will determined by the views of good... I do not see how it could ever get loose from the infinite eternal joys of heaven, once proposed and considered as possible
....................................

However much men are in earnest and constant in pursuit of happiness, yet they may have a clear view of good, great and confessed good, without being concerned for it, or moved by it, if they think they can make up their happiness without it.

Sometimes I think there is a great danger in being too content. (Granted, life presents many scenarios in which we need the grace to be "content" with what God has given and where He has placed us)....so does C.S. Lewis...and Bono :) <-- who "still hasn't found what he's looking for." If we see this as a reminder to always press on, and go further up and further in, I think he's right.

Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

–C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory



1 comment:

  1. So true. A question that was brought to my attention one time was, "is it okay to be content with life"? At first you say well of course it's okay. But think about it, if we are content with something doesn't that usually mean we stop working to improve whatever that is? Its kinda one of those questions just to think about for a while. All I know is that I will always have something that needs work and shouldn't be content leaving it the way it is.
    Just my thought...

    I can't believe I didn't know about this blog before, I'm glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete